Nestled in a setting of gently rolling hills, the design of the Edgemere Park Historic District reflects the philosophy of the well-known landscape architect, Frederick Law Olmstead. In the center of the district is a creek bed, the focal point of the city park which is the core of the Edgemere Neighborhood. Edgemere Park Addition was surveyed and platted by the Edgemere Development Company and dedicated as an addition to the City of Oklahoma City in three separate dedications: May 20, 1926; May 20, 1927; and November 17, 1927. The land was dedicated to the school on August 7, 1911 and the park land was dedicated on November 16, 1927. Edgemere Park Addition was one of the first planned unit developments west of the Mississippi. The principles of design found in Edgemere Park have been incorporated in recent “new city” developments such as Columbia, Maryland and Reston, Virginia.
Leon Levy, father of Harrison Levy, Sr, grandfather of Harrison Levy, Jr. was one of the owners and active leader of the original developers of the Edgemere Addition. In 1911 Leon Levy donated 2.07 acres for the Edgemere Elementary School with the understanding that the school would be built by the State of Oklahoma Edgemere Elementary School, 1912 School Board records show that the school opened its doors in the fall of 1912. The architects of the school were Soloman Layton & Smith, who also served as the architects for the Capital Building of Oklahoma. The cost of the original school building was $31,800. An addition was added to the south end of the building in 1928. The architect of the addition was Harry Reynolds and the contractor was George G. Schmidt. The cost of the 1928 addition was $57,645.59. A second addition was added to the north end of the building in 1930. The architects of the second addition were Layton, Hicks & Forsyth. The contractors on the second addition were D. Allan Harmon and Wallace Mattison. The cost of the addition was $61,841.65.
The original home owners association was formed around 1943 and the first meeting was held in the home of Dr. and Mrs. R.C. Mills at 446 N.W. 35th Street. The home owners association was succeeded by our present association when it was formed in 1973. On January 18, 1977 Edgemere Park was the third neighborhood in Oklahoma City to receive designation as an Historic Preservation District from the City of Oklahoma City. Edgemere Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 25, 1980.